Evan Fell Motorcycle Works

My name is Evan Fell and my hobby is motorcycle restoration, customization, and riding. This is a blog about my bikes.

Race Inspired Yamaha XS1100 With a Past

Posted on February 7, 2011 | Posted by | 6 Comments

I know I know, another Yamaha XS1100 post. Thankfully many of my readers are into them just as much as I am. To the others, please bear with me.

Anyone who knows me or reads this blog knows I have a predilection for Yamaha XS1100’s. I’m not sure how it developed, but that’s not what’s important. What’s important are the bikes!

I recently stumbled upon this spectacular custom built example and thought I would share.

1980 Yamaha XS1100 Custom

This is a 1980 Yamaha XS1100 which was built for Skine Weaver back in the early 1980’s. He supposedly raced it for many years all around the United States. I’m not sure what type of racing he was involved in, but it must have been some type of super stock dragging. I heard he was very successful with it. It looks more like a pleasure rider to me.

Yamaha XS1100 1980 Race Bike

This XS110 is a very unusual looking bike with a lot of interesting features and custom touches. It has a hand built 7.5 gallon gas tank which is obviously just a stock E style tank extruded upwards. It has the fairing from an XJ900, which suites it quite well. The tail piece is clearly based on a Yamaha OW-01, but it has an unusual curved shape to it so it must be custom modified. The seat is custom done. It has all the standard modifications you’d expect for any performance tuned bike 0f the period; a 4 into 1 Kerker exhaust, pod air filters, fork brace, etc.

It’s also hard to miss the nitrous oxide tank mounted to the rear of the bike. There certainly aren’t many XS1100 guys running nitrous these days. It’s a 5 pound bottle and rumor has it the motor dyno’d at 145hp with a good boost. This bike would be scary when you’re on the throttle.

One of the most unique features you might gloss right over if you don’t look closely. Not only does it have an oil cooler, but it has an air damn on the front fender to kick air up into it. Very cool.

1980 Yamaha XS1100 Cafe Racer

When Skine Weaver died the XS found it’s way onto the display shelf at a local motorcycle shop in Pennsylvania where it has been sitting for fifteen years. It has just recently come up for sale – at a very modest price.

I believe this is the original owner Skine Weaver.

Skine Weaver XS1100

I love a bike with a good history and an interesting story. This is certainly one of those bikes, I just wish I knew more about it. If anyone has any more information about this bike or Skine please share it!

Yamaha XS110 at the Races

Comments

6 Responses to “Race Inspired Yamaha XS1100 With a Past”

1. Sarag
    September 22nd, 2011 @ 11:24 pm

Hey! my dad just bought this bike actually!

[Reply]

2. Barry Harvell
    December 4th, 2012 @ 11:09 am

I have enjoyed this bike for over a year and it has run well, but alas all things come to an end and I am returning it to a more stock look so the gas tank and rear tailpiece are to be removed for stock along with the nitrous

[Reply]

3. walter weaver wally jr.
    December 22nd, 2012 @ 1:00 pm

I am the great nephew of Skine, he was my mothers uncle, her dad was skines brother. I was going to purchase this bike from super dave’s that was a friend skine. I currently own skines last bike which he died getting on after winning a poker run outside of monroeville pa.It was a shriners run and he and his grandaughter were on this run. He had a heartattack and did not recover. He died doing what he loved to do riding bikes and racing. It is true he was from a young age a bike enthusiast, racer,wheeler dealer and AMA member. He raced flat track dirt in the 1950s I can remember going and watching him and his brother Bob Weaver competing,believe it or not they raced dresser indians and harleys on a dirt track, how crazy is that. Skin also raced ningas, and any other bike you can think of,preformed the centrifugal barrels , fire walls and jumps at carnivls and circus events,
    he belonged to the Hells Angles in the earily 50’s one of the orginal members in the pennsylvania area.

Skine was a coal mine superintendent for United States Steel Robina mine Blaker shaft. He traveled quite extensivly.

Concerning the xs1110 please dont modify it to much it is a one of a kind in skins memory. I was going to purchase it in 2009 I believe but am sorry now I did not. I can remember Skine poping a wheelie on main street in masontown, pa. and taking that bike at least 1000 feet on the back wheel. He was truly the orginal stunt man which I and many other believe evel Knievel had nothing on him.

Please let me know and keep me informed of the status of the bike. If you get rid of the fender with skines name let me know.

Thanks

WW

[Reply]

4. Barry
    February 5th, 2013 @ 8:27 pm

I still have the bike in its original condition, mroyharv@gmail.com

[Reply]

5. Ray
    April 18th, 2014 @ 12:24 pm

That’s really odd how many Bikes was made exactly like that one. my friend has owned this bike for several months in the same condition it looks in the picture……have pics to share but if you asked me this Bike is in Georgia…..

[Reply]

6. macy's coupon home depot codes and coupons
    May 7th, 2014 @ 12:48 pm

macy’s coupon home depot codes and coupons…

Race Inspired Yamaha XS1100 With a Past » Evan Fell Motorcycle Works…