I managed to collect all the parts I needed for the motor, then got to work.
There isn’t anything too surprising inside the motor, just a lot of carbon build up from 16 years of service. All the valves were leaking.
I removed all the carbon the old fashioned way, with a flat head screwdriver. Everything cleaned up quite nicely. The head, valves, and piston all looked great when I put them back together. I lapped the valves by hand with some valve paste, and put in new OEM rings. As far as I can tell this was the first time the motor has ever been opened up. Also ran some new oil lines because the originals got mangled in the accident. This bike has been through a lot, but at least now the motor is sound again. Still need to replace the front axle, do the fork seals, linkage bushings, and replace some electrics and bearings. Thankfully I have all those parts at hand. It’ll soon be ready for another decade!
The motor popped right away, but it took a few kicks to clear out all the assembly oil. Once it started in ran fantastic. I tore around town for a while and it didn’t even hiccup. The compression is VERY strong now and the motor has more pep – it’s very noticeable.